GREAT LAKES FISH DECOY ASSN.
Home of the Fish Decoy Carving World Championship
GLFDA GENERAL INFORMATION
Welcome to the world of fish decoy carving and collecting...
The Great Lakes Fish Decoy Collecting and Carving Association has the goal of collecting., preserving, and passing on the tradition of the fish spearing decoy. Since our founding in 1989 we have worked to keep the art form of the fish decoy alive while organizing friendly competitions- a place where people gather together to share common interests, trade decoys, stories and carving techniques. We also strongly encourage passing our passion for fish decoys along to future generations. A family membership to our organization costs $25 per year. A quarterly newsletter updates club members on the latest news and events important to fish decoy enthusiasts. Members will also receive the "Annual Collector's and Carvers report" which summarizes the events as well as lists the winners from the annual show and competition.
Other points of interest regarding our organization
and the good work it does include the following:
- The GLFDA has realized its goal to complete a permanent display of artifacts related to spear fishing through the ice at the Western Lake Erie Museum in Rockwood, Michigan.
- The GLFDA is a proud financial supporter of the George W. Brown Jr. "Ojibwe Museum & Cultural Center" in Lac Du Flambeau, Wisconsin
- The GLFDA has been a financial supporter of the Michigan 4-H fish decoy carving seminars in Lansing, Michigan.
- The GLFDA supports other charitable causes. It donated the proceeds of its 2005 carving show fund raising auction to the 2005 Hurricane Katrina Relief Fund.
- The GLFDA is incorporated with both the State Of Michigan and the Federal Government with a tax free status. All proceeds are limited, as our charter states for "Preservation, promotion and education if the ice/ fish decoy as a functional and collectible Americana Folk Art."
-The GLFDA World Championships of Fish Decoy Carving is held annually in September near Monroe, Michigan. For additional information see the Competition Rules section of this site. There is also an accompanying sporting collectibles show held the day before the World Championships. This event includes many dealers from the region with a wide variety of sporting collectibles including fishing lures, fish decoys, duck decoys and related items. For additional information on the show, please contact our Director of Collecting. Contact information can be found on the contact page of this site.
Jim Marsh - (734)586-8177 for additional information on the Pointe Mouilee festival.
For Motel info click the Blue Holiday Inn logo below...